Sunday, August 2, 2009

I hope he fails – and by 'he' I mean Rush.

I voted for the other guy. But say what you will, after the dust had settled, the other guy is not in the oval office. The guy who is now running things is my president and I will stand behind him. While I do not agree with everything he is doing and has done, I also don't have all the facts, so it's a moot point and not one I'm going to debate here. No, here my only point is that Rush Limbaugh said on radio for all to hear, “I hope he fails!” Well, I don't. For that and many other thoughtless statements, I hope Rush fails.

If President Obama fails, the implications will resound for decades to come, but it will also resound today for you and for me. If he fails, the economy fails, the major companies fail and an awful lot of minor companies will fail. I have held opinions that bailing out people who already get billion dollar bonuses is wrong. But I hope he proves me wrong. I hope he succeeds and the economy recovers. I hope we enter into an era of prosperity hitherto unknown and that everyone who, like me, voted for the other guy says to himself, “Boy! Was I wrong! The guy succeeded!”

So you might be saying that I sound like one of those “My president, right or wrong” guys. Perhaps that's what I've become. I want his decisions, his programs, his leadership to be spot-on the money each and every time. Sure, I've heard all the nay-sayers before and after the election, all the junk shooting around the Internet, all the “proof-positive” about this, that and the other – and if he screws up, there will be a lot of very smug people folding their arms and saying that they told us so. I hope they never get the chance. For one thing, I hate that! But I hope they never get the chance because I hope he doesn't screw up, I hope the economy recovers and we bring the troops home victorious and that the nations of the world will come to love us and a hundred other things that were impossible but a few months ago.

Call me a cock-eyed optimist, but I want our President to succeed beyond our wildest expectations. May healthcare be easy, cheap and fun, yet rewarding for the practitioners. May the economy spur a new era of growth and well-being for all, with jobs and opportunities a-plenty. May art and music flourish, may other nations see the goodness in us and seek to emulate us, creating a world-wide prosperity boom. May there be peace on Earth, without everyone dying in order to achieve it. I hope he succeeds.

No comments: